the one about dancers

Have you seen a swan? They are these big white birds, that depending on your point of view, are extremely beautiful, graceful and majestic, gliding on a serene lake, definitely King of Birds in his element, or extremely disproportionate, fierce creatures, waddling on some grassy bank, squawking stridently, huge wings spread threateningly, certainly not to be trifled with.
When I think of dancers, I think of swans.
At a bus stop, or behind a desk, at the supermarket, or even picking up their child from school, you'd never know these completely ordinary people were so special. But play the music, and bam! Watch them toss their heads and shrug off that mantle of 'ordinary'. Now they are in their element! See their eyes sparkle as they strike a pose, strut their stuff and GROOVE!
I am part of the dance community. In October 2009, I joined The Danceworx, a dance school to some and a sanctuary to me. It is the place I come to three times a week, to play at being 'young' again. In the studio, I am no longer wife, or mother, or sister, or daughter.... I am anyone I want to be. Saraginah, temptress and seductress, or an innocent, reveling in the ability to fly, or an African warrior princess. Maybe a Smooth Criminal, or an American Gangsta, you know what I'm sayin'? For 1hr and 15mins, I forget my real life, and go where the music leads me... It's the highlight of my week, and to the people who make it happen, I am grateful...
They are teachers who lead the class. They find themselves at the studio, come rain or shine, and they dance their hearts out. That's after getting their asses whipped in tech class all morning. Lunch is an unspoken of luxury afforded them only if they are home ill or injured! Sometimes I catch them surreptitiously opening a box at 6:00pm and wolfing down a few spoonfuls of, by now congealing, pilaf or something. Or treating themselves to a greasy patty from the local bakery. I've heard the bakery owner has bought himself a new car since The Danceworx opened! These kids give so much of themselves. They invest in their students.
My first teacher was Pancham. She, on any given day, is a patch of sunshine in the landscape of my life. Then there was Akshat. Akshat reminds me of a clockwork soldier with his precise clean moves. Next was beautiful Ellie. She is like a coconut. Once you get through the tough shell, she is a sweet refreshing lovely. Not to be taken lightly, Ellie will push you till you reach your complete potential. Now there's Naomi. Young Naomi can light up a room with her energy and enthusiasm. She is one of the strongest women I know. It is this intrinsic strength that makes Naomi look like she's dancing on air... And of course there's Jaison... Funny, sensitive and absolutely riveting, Jaison is the Studio Head. Jaison conducts a class with an ease that suggests that he was born for this. He moves like a panther, each sinuous move blending into the other, yet in no way disguising the blatant power behind them. The only thing that might detract from this display of perfection, would probably be the mischief obvious in his eyes, or the funny nonsense that comes out of his mouth! I'm always waiting for some poor unfortunate to catch Jaison's evil eye, for then we are in for a treat of epic proportions!
Why do I dance? Why do I put my body through the rigours that are our exercises? Is it really necessary to stretch my muscles to these extremes?  Do I need to be able to spin around like a dervish?
Questions I ask myself regularly. Answer: No. It's as unnecessary as it is to eat a big fat brownie oozing melted chocolate... It just feels really good to be able to do it...
This is why I dance. Because I can.
It is said that our bodies are akin to temples. Then it is only fitting that we worship at the altar of dance. If the Aryans are the most superior human race, then I say that Dancers are the Aryans of athletes.
This is why I'm proud to be a dancer.

1 comment:

  1. Auvsome Michelle. Loved it!

    Relate to the statement 'I dance because i can' :)

    ReplyDelete